Tuesday, May 24, 2011

7 Days to Go Time

I leave for Haiti in one week! Perfect time for a nice practical post with the rundown (hoping to hit some FAQs I've been getting):
  • I'm flying by myself to Port au Prince on June 1 and will fly back to NOLA on August 3rd.
  • I will be working at Respire Haiti founded by the magnificent Megan Boudreaux (who I am so blessed to call my friend) back in December. (Read her blog & about the organization here!: http://blessedwithaburden.wordpress.com/) Respire Haiti was founded to care for, empower, and invest children in through God's love. That is exactly what I will be there to do!
  • Gressier is the village in which Respire is located. It is about 20 miles west of PAP and was severely damaged during the 2010 earthquake.
  • I'll be living with Megan in one of the very few houses still standing in Gressier. Most of the families there live in tents (think tarp & some ropes).
  • Respire started a new school that already has over 100 kids in it! Ground is being broken for a new school building within the coming weeks.
  • I have drugs with me that can get rid of cholera in two days and am loaded up with vaccines, so odds are I won't catch something and die, knock on wood. Promise I'll be real careful though!
  • The best ways to help out the children of Gressier through our work is by making a donation to Respire- there are a lot of cool projects to give to! http://blessedwithaburden.wordpress.com/respire-haiti/how-to-support-respire-haiti/opportunities-for-giving/
Thank you so much to everyone who has loved an supported me in making this trip happen. The outpouring of generosity and provision that has come without me even looking for it has really blown me away. I'm so grateful for every bit of it and wonderful things are going to happen through all that has been given. Please continue to keep the kids, the country, Respire, and myself in your thoughts & prayers. Much love and THANKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment