Monday, July 25, 2011

Little Update

Sorry I haven’t written in so long. Life has been a whirlwind. This is just going to be a brief update.

Let’s see, since I last wrote, I went on my first run since my health issues. I was running and REJOICING over the fact that my legs were working well and not hurting me. I forgot how amazing our secret beach is. Its so incredible to just go there and be alone with the beauty of the Caribbean and of this island. And to just decompress for 30 minutes out of the day. What a blessing.

We took Michaelle to a swimming pool for the first time. Thorsten has been telling us about this place in Gressier called Number One for so long and we’ve been trying to go. Last Sunday, Megan, Michaelle, and I piled into his truck and finally discovered the mysterious Number One. Its pretty nice, a giant swimming pool with actual lounge chairs. This was the first time Michaelle had ever seen a swimming pool - she flipped out. Before she would get in she was rattling off questions in Creole to Megan, “Is this part of the ocean? Why is the water so clear? Where are the rocks, where is the sand?” We reassured her that swimming pools are a great time and perfectly safe. When she was convinced and got in, she had a blast swimming. The uh, tricky, part of Number One is there are these two giant statues of naked women squatting by the pool… and they’re actually fountains. The place from which water sprays is between their spread legs. Awkward! Michaelle was freaked out by these giant women at first, as were Megan and I.

Anyway, that was a nice little vacation day before our week really ramped up again. Megan and I made an all day trip to Port au Prince on Tuesday. Megan went back on Wednesday, which was the same day the latest group came in. It’s a group of college students from a church in Baton Rouge. I’ve enjoyed having them around. Somehow a group of college students is a little more fun for me than a bunch of adults, go figure. The only problem is that they’re from LSU so Megan and I are constantly in battle with them about whose school is better. Clearly its Tulane.

Kyle the builder has come back as well, which is quite exciting. A lot of visible progress has been made on school construction!! Parts of the wall are going up right now. It has been so cool to see. I keep trying to get Kyle to let me be his junior surveyor, but I’m not sure he thinks I’m cool enough.

I leave in a little over a week. WEIRD. I don’t want to think about it. I didn’t know what I was getting into exactly before I came here. I had a vague idea but when’s the last time I really ever had to go without electricity, running water, Walmart, etc. Well when I go back to America I know exactly what its going to be like and its going to rock my world. And then I move. And then I start school. And then…. woah, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment