Friday, June 3, 2011

I'm typing this from an iPhone so I'm sorry if it's a huge mess.

I wish that you could see what I saw today withyour own eyes because there's no other way you could understand what it was like. We drove into the next town over today on the way to PAP. The slums get thicker there and we get off the main road driving through trecherous mud passing tent after cement shack after trash pile until we pull up in front of an orphanage. I've been too a couple of orphanages but really didn't know what I was getting into. Before we walked through the door, Megan looked back at me and said, "Warning. this is bad."

We walked through a bare cement hallway into the backyard where at least 50 kids were mixed I'm with the church group that's staying with us right now. Immediately a little boy runs up and grab my hand and someone drops a baby into my arms. This baby's hair was half braided, someone just stopped in the middle of fixing it and stuck a comb in it. She had a torn shirt, no bottoms and wasnt even wearing a diaper. It was the most lifeless baby I have ever held, she would barely respond to my voice or follow anything with her eyes. As I kept looking around I noticed almost all the kids were sick, some with scabies, some coughing or weezing; all of them were starved for attention.

There was very little space and few beds, Many of the kids sleep on the floor. The rooms are empty and a dull yellow paint is peeling off the walls. What really killed me was when I noticed the bathroom was a very shallow open pit in the middle of the cement backyard. I sat there holding that limp baby singing Flags by Brooke Fraser to myself trying not to cry as I watched all the kids play with the only people that love on them: a bunch of strange white people that would be leaving them shortly. It was truly hell on earth. All I could do is pray for some ray of hope, that justice would be served.

I'm running out of battery but I want to say i'm really proud of myself because I just or the worlds most notorious and obviously PTSD orphan to fall asleep and he's laying next to me. Good night from is both!

P.S. Eat your vegetables and enjoy them! I would so kill for a carrot stick or a tomato!!

No comments:

Post a Comment