Monday, June 6, 2011

Simon Says

This place is crazy. I don't even know where to begin talking about the last few days.

We went to anther orphanage a few days ago, but this one was out in the country right past this Korean UN base that has more infrastructure inside it's walls than the the twenty nearest villages combined. It was nice. Dirt dirt poor, but it didn't have a dark air loomin about it like the orphanage we visited the day before. When we got out of the car all the barefoot children in rag tag clothes ran up to give us hugs and kisses. We happily did crafts with them and handed out shoes, clothes, and toys to these sweet kids. The best part though was just getting to hug these kids. Who knows the last time someone gave them a good hug.

The orphanage in Carrefour and those kids were still on my mind though, the place can't get shut down soon enough. Everyday we learn more about the horrible things that take place there. God keeps reminding me that the last will be first someday, even if it's not here and even if it's not now. I trust in that promise.

We took one of the kids from there, Gabriel. Sometimes the guy that runs the place will let him out because he is such a sick kid. Gabriel is so beautiful and fun, but as you may expect, he has issues. I curretly want to kill him because he's throwing his nightly tantrum right now as Trevor, megan, and I try to sleep. It's my turn to sleep on the floor with him. He seems to be chilling out so i'm going to cut this short.

I taught my first English class today though and had a total blast! I had to act like a complete ham to get them to pay attention to me. I danced and flailed my long limbs around. I'm sure they were like "...Omg look at this crazy white lady." It was people of all ages, teens to old ladies like sweet Mary who asked me if I would be back on Wednesday. They were supposed to be the advanced group, but I figured out pretty quick that this was not the case, ha. I got a lot of blank stares while trying out the initial lesson plan so instead I asked them if they wanted to play a game. We all like games right? And they sort of stared at me again. But I taught them how to play Simon says and it was great! One guy who took a turn being Simon was doing fine until he said, "Simon says touch your ass." And I was like, wait, what??? And he was like,"Simon says touch your ass!" I jumped up real quick to inform them all that this was a bad word that they should not ever repeat. They thought that was great. Then another student asked me what a boob was by poking the woman next to him. At first I thought he was talking about her shirt or the flowers on her shirt until he gave her another good poke. Someone in front of them chimed in to inform me of what they were really talking about and I was like ohhhh! Boob, I mean, breast! It's a breast everybody. They thought that was great too. Haha it was hilarious.

I'm going to go with a group tomorrow to do some construction work because for some reason I really enjoyed doing that in Mexico and Guatemala so I bet its fun in Haiti too. I'll let you know. I have to go lay down with Mr. Tamtrumpants now.

No comments:

Post a Comment